Tuesday, 25 January, 2022

420 N. Pokegama Ave

Grand Rapids, MN 55744

City Hall: 218-326-7600

Open Burning / Burning Permits are issued for piled materials such as trees and brush. For burning permits within the city limits of Grand Rapids, you must contact Fire Department personnel. Please call and leave a voicemail message.  A Fire Department officer will return your call as soon as they can. 
Fire Department     (218) 326-7638
Burning of leaves prohibited.; Notwithstanding the provisions of Minn. Stat. §§ 88.16, 88.17 and 88.22, the open burning of dried leaves is hereby prohibited.
The city has determined that the burning of leaves is an ineffective means to disposes of leaves. As well, this practice has been determined to be contrary to the health, safety, welfare, and morals of the community.
The city has available a practical alternative to the burning of leaves as a means of disposal. The city has and maintains a community compost pile, free of charge, to city residents as a way to dispose of leaves. The city believes this to be a more fitting way in which to dispose of leaves. Additionally, the city through its contracted waste disposal vendor provides the free pick up and removal of vegetative material twice yearly.
Campfires do not require a permit, but must be contained, attended and extinguished before leaving and no larger than three (3) feet in diameter.
The following materials are prohibited and cannot be burned.
  • Tires, rubber or rubber products
  • Chemically treated lumber
  • Railroad ties, telephone poles
  • Plastic pesticide or herbicide containers
  • Plastic liners in seed, feed, or pesticide bags
  • Plastic containers such as: milk, motor oil, household, or other plastic containers
  • Tar paper, shingles, or other asphalt materials
  • Insulation
  • Composition board or sheet rock
  • Wiring, insulation on wiring or cable
  • Hazardous waste (including household hazardous waste)
  • Commercial or institutional structures
  • Paint or paint filters
  • Used motor oil or other petroleum-based liquids
  • Vehicles, motors or parts of vehicles, or motors
Click here for the complete Open Burning city code.
Violations of permit conditions may be subject to criminal and/or civil action.